Sunday, June 24, 2012

Country Boy's World

I would like to begin this post with a quote,"I would never have been president if it had not been for my experiences in North Dakota," wrote Theodore Roosevelt.  I think this is a marvelous quote because I can honestly say that I have become a better person this summer because of my experiences in ND as well.  And what makes this quote appealing to me is that T.R. is one of my role models. Amongst a long list, his conservation initiatives and of course his spirit for hunting are my primary reasons for having a great admiration for this man.  One of my favorite pictures that hangs in my parents' home, besides a large Walter Anderson watercolor, is one of T.R. and his bear hunting party in the MS Delta.  I feel an overwhelming sense of pride whenever I look at this picture because it reminds me of the rich history of the place in which I call home.


This week has been quite interesting.  In fact, I don't think I've had an uneventful week since I arrived the second week of May.  Pop-up rain showers (more like rain soakings) always manage to keep me on my toes.  You would think that being able to see unobstructed across the prairies would allow ample time for a savvy youth to scramble to shelter but the only problem is, you're in an open prairie.....

The good news is that wildflowers are blooming in an abundance! I have never before seen such a site.
Except for the many summers I spent in North Carolina on Gran's farm and the beautiful gardens that they planted.









We enjoyed a wonderful church service this morning and afterwards, were accompanied by many members of our church family to eat lunch at The Olive Garden.  It has truly been a blessing to see God at work and how much the members of our church genuinely desire to get to know us.  We have been handed business cards, phone numbers for meals, and job advertisements by these caring people.  The greatest thing is how they have incorporated us in to their church family.  There is seldom a Sunday service to go by in which "the Ducks Unlimited crew" doesn't receive a shout-out.  This morning, before we sang All Creatures of Our God and King, the hymn director pointed out that he was actually quite envious of our group and the fact that we spend all day outside in creation. 





We have reached the peak of the nesting season so now begins a gradual recession.  The winter wheat is beginning to turn and is expected to be harvested starting around July 20th.  The next couple of weeks will be spent frantically trying to squeeze in our third and final nest searches in the wheat before it is combined. 

Blue-wing teal ducklings!

Getting this picture required persistence, patience, and of course Jordan's skillful picture taking ability.

We easily spend 8 out of a 14 hour day on these ATVs (we had to learn to get over being sore)

Modern day cowboys and the steel horses we ride ;)
Excuse me, a what?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment