Sunday, July 15, 2012

Southern Voice

Some of you may be wondering how I come up with the titles for my blog and I must admit it's not creative genius. Or, for those of you who are avid country music fans, such as myself, you have probably figured out that every title I use is the name of a country song.  The title of this blog coincides perfectly with what Jake, Justin, and myself were a part of last night.

Now I'm from the MS Delta, and there's not a whole lot to do there unless you enjoy kicking dirt and chasing your little brother around the yard with a stick. (Which fortunately I out grew because now my "little" brother is taller than I am.) Anyway, my point to all this is work has slowed down tremendously so now we boys have to find things to occupy our free time.  Thankfully, Justin had the foresight to book tickets to watch Clay Walker perform in concert.  I'm so glad he did! We enjoyed a wonderful evening last night out of the house and listening to one of our favorite southern voices.



 On the topic of entertaining ourselves; Justin, Jake, and myself decided to take a late afternoon fishing excursion one day last week.  I met up with J & J and upon entering their truck I was bombarded with news of a new fishing hole that they had learned of.  They both spoke highly of this promising lake because the reviews they had read said the place was stocked with large mouth bass, crappie, trout, and panfish.  After hearing all of this I couldn't wait to arrive at the hopeful honey hole! 

Well, it's not hard to imagine what happened next.  All that not having much to do growing up gave us boys plenty of time to perfect our skill in fishing, so in no time we had greatly reduced the fish population of the honey hole.  I'm talking caught so many fish that our thumbs got tired of pulling hooks out of fishes' lips!

Unfortunately, that's not what really happened.  What really happened is we spent more than an hour and a half driving around in search of this lake.  And when Jake finally got out to ask someone at a local gas station where this Holy Grail could be located he returned to the truck with a soured look on his face.  So naturally I asked, "What's wrong?"  He responded,"Well I asked the man behind the counter where Riverdale City Pond was and he kinda looked at me funny and asked who I was takin'. I told him me and my buddies were goin'.  He started laughin' and told me that pond was only for little kids. So I quickly told him we weren't from around here and he said he could tell." 

It was in that moment that I could tell this poor country boy's pride had been hurt, and I bet he was wishing more than anything that he could have been chasing me with a stick for making him go inside and ask for directions. 



Here are some pictures that I have taken over the past couple of weeks. Nothing too spectacular but worth sharing in my opinion.

View from our backyard one morning before work.

Some of the winter wheat we have been working in.



Field of flax.

A close up of the purple blooms!

Once I think I've seen all the wildflowers the prairie has to offer, more pop up.



Can you spot the hen Lesser scaup?

Although the primary nests we find are those of ducks, Northern harriers are also on the list of interest.
There is beer, black coffee, and Dr. Pepper 10. This stuff is advertised for men and they mean it.
That's why I drink it, because I'm a man. And I work for Ducks Unlimited.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment