Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Where the Green Grass Grows

Well, I'm in the middle of my last week in North Dakota.  It's crazy to think that my time here is coming to an end but at the same time I am more than ready to be home.  I am ready to see familiar faces and places, I'm not sure they could get here fast enough.  The exciting news is that my mom, dad, and younger brother are currently on there way up here!  They decided that since I was already here it would be a wonderful opportunity to come visit this part of the country.  And I must say, I am ready to share it with them. 

Friday, around lunch, my family will arrive at the house in Douglas.  From there I will show them where I've been working and take them around to see the beauty of this place.







My family will help me pack my truck, then following them back to Bismark, we'll spend the night.  We will strike out early the next morning for Keystone,SD and Mt. Rushmore.  I've heard from several locals that the Black Hills are a gorgeous place to adventure.  I am thrilled to have the opportunity and share this experience with my family.  Sure beats the heck out of driving back to Mississippi all by myself! (I know Aaron wants to see the Ducks Unlimited headquarters so I'll be glad to show him around before we depart.)

Here are an assortment of pictures that I have collected the past couple of weeks.

Gadwall hen in the winter wheat.

These wild sun flowers are abundant in ND.

These are membranes.  It's what's left in the nest bowl after the ducklings hatch.
By counting them, we get an estimate of how successful the nest was.

I've spent a lot of time in winter wheat this summer.
Figured I should at least take a picture.

All I know about wild flowers is that they are beautiful!
I wish I knew more and I wish Bethany could see them herself.


Ahh, cone flowers. This one I know. ;)
 I want to thank all of you for reading my blogs this summer. They have been great fun to write and I'm glad I could share my experiences with you.  My original plan for this blog was to just keep it through the summer time, but since then, I have decided otherwise.  You see, it all begins with Dakota ducks and as an avid waterfowler, and hopeful recipient of a lifelong career involving waterfowl, my story does not end here.  So stick around and you will have a front row seat to watch my rising career and along the way, read countless tales about my duck hunting adventures.

I want to thank Brandi for hiring me this summer, Kelly for being an outstanding crew leader, and Jake, Justin, Jordan, and Scott for the lifelong friendships we have developed.  I wish you all the very best and I look forward to our paths crossing again one day.





Happy 30th Mom and Dad! 


1 comment:

  1. Great post - glad you are maintaining your blog. Can't wait for you to be back in the Sip!

    ReplyDelete